How Can I Help?

Call the NSW Elder Abuse Helpline & Resource Unit

If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, call us on 1800 628 221. We can provide you information, support and referrals relating to the abuse of older people living in the community across NSW. Our service is confidential and callers can remain anonymous. If you require an interpreter, first call 131 450 and tell the operator your preferred language.

How you can make the best use of the NSW Elder Abuse Helpline & Resource Unit

  • Provide the Helpline staff with as much relevant information about the suspected abuse situation as possible
  • Be honest in the details you provide
  • Tell us what you would like to see happen in the situation so that we can provide you (the caller) with the most affective advice

Things to consider in responding to and reporting elder abuse

Capacity and Consent

When a person has capacity to make a decision, they are able to understand the facts and choices involved, weigh up and understand the consequences of their choices and communicate their decision. If a person can't follow this process, they are said to lack capacity. When there is a question or disagreement about a person's capacity, you may need to seek a professional assessment from a trained health professional.

For more information on capacity and to download the capacity toolkit, visit:

What is a crime?

Many forms of elder abuse are criminal offences and need to be reported to the NSW Police. These include: physical and sexual assault; intimidation and harassment, stalking and other forms of domestic violence; theft;  fraud; and some forms of neglect (The Crimes Act 1900 and The Crimes (Domestic and Personal Violence) Act 2007). In an emergency situation involving risk of harm to yourself or to the older person, contact emergency services on 000. Preferably, consult with the older person and gain their consent before reporting.